Woodland path

Quick and basic painting

Woodland path 2015
16" x 12" Acrylic on paper

I just had to do some painting. Anything. After a two week gap and feeling stuck and restricted by the busy and short days I finally had a brief moment to paint. My bigger project needs a bit more planning and preparation, but I had this one in mind anyway.

About a month ago, at the start of Autumn, I went for a walk through our local woods (Chopwell). The old railway path can be very muddy and tricky sometimes, but the light in the distance and the regular dog walkers make for a more interesting view. It's a bit of a cliched painting subject, but why not have a go myself I thought? So, I could do a detailed and carefully considered painting, or this more impressionistic one. Being short of time and wanting to move on soon to a bigger and more complex subject, I opted for this less time-consuming style. I had no photograph and no sketch to work from; I just had to work from memory and removed elements that I know should be there, such as the much higher banks.

Acrylics were chosen due to the speed of drying and to finish in one session. Paper used in case it turned into a reject and then I wouldn't feel bad about wasting money on canvas (it's better to have a go than worry about cost of materials and achieving perfection). Only 4 colours used: cobalt blue, cadmium yellow light, burnt umber and raw sienna, plus black and white. A tiny amount of oil and water for glazing. Two brushes only: 8 filbert and a 2 flat bright (I think, but the writing has rubbed off, but that's what it looks like). In the end I had too much black and far too much white on my palette! On the other hand, with all the different greens and yellows needed I should've squeezed out much more of the colours.

At the beginning it really did look like the work of somebody in a state of deep depression or trauma with its crazy underpainting of blue and black and the tunnel effect. Gradually, the picture emerged. By the end, after adding a bit of shadow and light details, I decided to add the figure at the end and I think it brings a bit of interest to the focal point. In total, it took about 2 hours, but I think that is too quick for a painting of this size. Some of the application is a bit clumsy and heavy-handed in places. I can see that, but it served its purpose of putting paint on paper.

Now it's time to move on to the next project.

Comments

Popular Posts